Careers and Pathways Service
Our well-established Careers and Pathways service aims to provide students and parents/carers with all the latest information that will help make decisions about future career and life beyond school. Through the specialised Careers Tools website you can locate University, TAFE and any other type of course across Australia, get information about the VCE, search for job vacancies and much more.
The Careers and Pathways service also aims to assist all Year 7 to 12 students to further develop their Employability skills and Career pathways, with an opportunity to undertake Work Experience, Leadership Workshops; Industry & University/TAFE Tours; Voluntary & Cadetship programs; Vocational Career Testing; Job Interview training and the like.
HEADSTART is an initiative in Victorian Secondary Schools that supports students to undertake an apprenticeship or traineeship whilst also completing their Year 12 Certificate.
By providing a flexible VCE or VCAL timetable, the program maximizes the time a student can spend within paid employment per week. Students also benefit from a strong focus on the development of literacy and numeracy skills, as well as quality Vocational Education training delivered at Certificate III level.
Each HEADSTART student:
- Is individually matched to an employer who is committed to mentoring young people within their industry.
- Has access to Certificate III level courses that has been identified as leading to genuine employment pathways.
- Is paid a government regulated wage whilst completing their apprenticeship or traineeship.
- Is supported by a HEADSTART Coordinator to complete their Year 12 Certificate in either VCE or VCAL.
- Is mentored by the HEADSTART Coordinator both during and beyond their school certificate completion.
- Will develop the necessary skills and experience to secure full-time employment post-school.
How HEADSTART Works
Once a match has been made between a student and employer, depending on the employer’s needs, a student will undertake paid work and training with their employer, combined with the completion of their school studies. Students in Year 10 will usually work with their employer 1 day per week and increasing time spent on-the-job and training usually between 2 – 3 days per week when in Year 11 and 12.
What courses are offered through HEADSTART?
Head Start students can choose apprenticeships and traineeships in key industries such as building and construction, community services and heath, business and primary industries. For more information, speak to the HEADSTART Coordinator at your school.
Who can enrol in HEADSTART?
Head Start is available to students who are:
- at least 15 years of age and are Australian citizens or permanent residents;
- committed to doing part-time employment in a designated Head Start occupation;
- prepared to be employed and undertake their training for a minimum of 13 hours per week whilst studying.
As a student, why should I enrol in Head Start?
HEADSTART allows you to:
- earn a fair training wage while you learn;
- develop skills that are valued by employers and help you into the career you want;
- spend more time on the job in areas of industry demand;
- undertake quality assured training, through approved HEADSTART providers;
- complete your VCE or VCAL; and
- receive support from your Head Start Coordinator throughout your HEADSTART apprenticeship or traineeship.
Each HEADSTART team member has demonstrated experience within the employment and vocational training sector and will work closely with Gisborne Secondary College’s staff to ensure the best outcome for each student. The school’s HEADSTART Coordinator will work closely with school staff to assist with the management of the student’s school timetable to ensure students can manage the workload of school, employment and vocational training.
Please click here to watch this short video about the HEADSTART program.
If you wish to speak with the HEADSTART coordinator to find out more information, please contact us via telephone or email at:
Kelli Hewton | HEADSTART Coordinator
M: 0428 998 261